3. DESCRIPTION OF PROGRAM OR FUNCTION
ABAREX is an optical- statistical model program developed for the calculation and fitting of energy-averaged neutron cross sections. These include:
1. Total cross sections
2. Absorption cross sections
3. s and p wave strength functions
4. Integrated and differential shape-elastic cross sections
5. Integrated and differential compound-elastic cross sections
6. Integrated and differential elastic cross section
7. Integrated and differential inelastic cross sections for the excitation of discrete levels.
8. Integrated inelastic-scattering cross sections for the excitation of continuum levels.
9. Gamma-ray production cross sections
10. Radiactive-capture cross sections
11. Fission and other reaction cross sections for which transmission coefficients can be supplied.
The package includes two code systems: 1)isotopic ABAREX, which was revised in the June 1999 update, and 2)Elemental ABAREX, which was added to the package in the June 1999 update. The modifications to the 1999 release of the isotopic ABAREX code were made to accomodate some European fortran compilers and will not change results from the previous 1998 release. ELEMENTAL ABAREX is an extension of ABAREX, designed for the interpretation of neutron interactions with elemental targets consisting of up to ten isotopes. The contributions from each of the isotopes of the element are explicitly dealt with and combined for comparison with the elemental observers.