The Integral Experiments are designed to follow the behaviour of a reactor system in various off-normal or accident conditions. The ITD matrix data is suitable for the validation of best estimate thermal-hydraulic computer codes: it consists of phenomenologically well founded experiments, for which comparison of the measured and calculated parameters forms a basis for establishing the accuracy of the test predictions.
- TEST TYPES FOR PWRS
. Test types related to large break LOCAs:
. Test types related to small break LOCAs:
Stationary test addressing energy transport on primary side,
Stationary test addressing energy transport on secondary side,
Small break overfeed by HPIS, secondary side necessary,
Small break w/o HPIS overfeeding, secondary side necessary,
Intermediate break, secondary side not necessary,
Steam generator tube rupture (SGTR).
. Test types related to small and intermediate breaks in PWRs with OTSGs
. Test types related to transients:
Anticipated Transient Without Scram (ATWS),
Loss of feedwater, non ATWS,
Loss of heat sink, non ATWS,
Steam line break,
Feed line break,
. Test types related to transients at shutdown conditions:
Loss of RHR at mid-loop operation with no or small openings,
Loss of RHR at mid-loop operation with large openings,
Loss of RHR at mid-loop operation with a dam in a hot leg,
Boron dilution at shutdown,
Cold overpressure transients at shutdown.
. Test types related to Accident Management:
High pressure primary side feed and bleed,
Low pressure primary side feed and bleed,
Secondary side feed and bleed,
RCP restart in a highly voided primary system,
Primary to secondary leak with multiple failures.
For the ITD the following classes of accidents are considered:
(1) large breaks (rupture area greater than 25 per cent of the maximum pipe area connected with the pressure vessel Amax);
(2) small and intermediate breaks (rupture area less than or equal to 25 per cent Amax);
(3) small and intermediate breaks in PWRs with once through steam generators (OTSG);
(4) transients, where upset conditions are created by single or multiple failures of one or more systems in the plant.
(5) transients at shutdown.
(6) accident management for a non-degraded core.
(2) Transients: start uptests, frequent operational transients and anticipated transients without scram (ATWS).
- CSNI INTEGRAL TEST FACILITY VALIDATION MATRIX FOR THE ASSESSMENT OF THERMAL-HYDRAULIC CODES FOR LWR LOCA AND TRANSIENTS Prepared by a Writing Group Committee of the PWG 2 "Task Group on Thermal-Hydraulic System Behaviour" - OCDE/GD(97)12, NEA/CSNI/R(96)17 (July 1996)
Last reviewed: 11 July 2011