The NEA convened 70 experts to an International workshop on the dynamic probabilistic safety assessment and its role in risk-informed decision making on 16-17 November 2023, in Rockville, Maryland, United States. Organised by the NEA the Working Group on Risk Assessment (WGRISK) and hosted by the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), the workshop provided a forum to discuss topics related to experience of use of dynamic probabilistic safety assessment (PSA) and exchange information on recent activities in this area.
The event featured 24 presentations that addressed various technical areas:
- tools and methods used in dynamic PSA
- applications: motivation, concerns, insights, issues
- potential improvements through machine learning
- drawbacks, challenges and possible solutions
- alternative approaches
- recommended benchmark exercises
- applications to risk-informed decision making
Panel discussions provided additional insights to develop a better understanding of the state-of-the-art in the technical areas of the workshop. Lessons learnt from the workshop will aid further development of the technical basis, methods, and practical applications for dynamic PSA.