- NEA Director-General William D. Magwood, IV spoke at the Atlantic Council webinar The role of nuclear energy in meeting climate goals, hosted by the Atlantic Council Global Energy Center on Thursday, 8 April 2021 as part of the “Raising Ambitions” events series.
- The NEA held a WebChat with Nuclear Education, Skills and Technology (NEST) Framework Fellows Larissa Shasko and Stephen King on 8 April 2021 to explore the importance of education, training, and knowledge management to the nuclear sector.
- NEA Director-General Magwood and Deputy Director-General Nobuhiro Muroya met with Shin Hosaka, Commissioner of the Agency for Natural Resources and Energy at the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI), on 13 April 2021.
- On 13 April 2021, NEA nuclear energy analyst Michel Berthélemy spoke at the 54th Japan Atomic Industrial Forum (JAIF) Annual Conference session “Global Challenges Toward a Decarbonized Society” about the role of nuclear energy in decarbonising electricity systems. In his presentation, Berthélemy also highlighted the recently published NEA report Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant Accident, Ten Years On: Progress, Lessons and Challenges, which surveys the aftermath, lessons, and achievements in Japan and the global nuclear community in the decade since the accident.
- Luminita Grancea, an NEA nuclear energy analyst, participated in the World Nuclear Fuel Cycle (WNFC) conference, co-organised by Nuclear Energy Institute (NEI) and World Nuclear Association (WNA) on 13-15 April 2021. Grancea spoke about maximising rranium mining’s social and economic benefits in the conference session The Fuel Cycle: Cleaner and More Sustainable than You Think.
- The NEA Steering Committee for Nuclear Energy held its biannual meeting on 15-16 April 2021.
- An expert roundtable discussion was held on 20 April 2021 to discuss the recently launched Framework for Irradiation Experiments (FIDES) and the experiments it will support.
- Michel Berthélemy, an NEA nuclear energy analyst, presented recent NEA work on electricity markets at a webinar on Policy & Financing Lessons: Advancing Energy and Climate Goals with Low-Carbon Energy Systems, co-organised by the Clean Energy Ministerial’s Nuclear Innovation: Clean Energy Future (NICE Future) initiative and the International Youth Nuclear Congress (IYNC) on 22 April 2021.
- NEA nuclear energy analyst Luminita Grancea spoke about uranium mining and socio-economic development at the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) Resource Management Week 2021.
- The NEA Global Forum on Nuclear Education, Science, Technology and Policy held its first official meeting on 23 April 2021.
- The NEA webinar series Disruptive Technologies for Nuclear Safety Applications, organised together with the Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute (KAERI) and the Korean Nuclear Society (KNS), was concluded on 27 April 2021 with a webinar on cyber security enhancements for nuclear safety applications.
- NEA Director-General Magwood and Diane Cameron, Head of the NEA Division of Nuclear Technology Development and Economics, participated in the Generation IV International Forum (GIF) 20th Anniversary Celebration event Progress and Future Prospects toward Deploying GEN IV reactors as Advanced Nuclear Energy Systems on 28 April 2021.
- Tatiana Ivanova, Head of the NEA Division of Nuclear Science, participated in the Advanced Nuclear Fuel Cycle Programme (AFCP) Quarterly Technical Meeting on 28 April 2021 and spoke about the challenges and opportunities for advanced nuclear fuel cycles on the path towards a clean energy future.
Ending the event with impact! Our panel of #CleanEnergy leaders discussed opportunity & challenges for future fuel cycles ♻— Advanced Fuel Cycle Programme (@afcp_uknnl) April 28, 2021
⚛ David Eaves, @WECnuclear
⚛ Si Dilks, @beisgovuk
⚛ Gareth Headdock, @uknnl
⚛ Tatiana Ivanova, @OECD_NEA
⚛ Stefano Monti, @iaeaorg#FuellingNetZero pic.twitter.com/uoahHCBz1p