The CSC provides for a global liability and compensation scheme that may supplement that called for under the Paris Convention, the Vienna Convention or Annex state legislation as defined by the CSC.
Adopted: 12 September 1997
Opened for signature: 29 September 1997
Entered into force: 15 April 2015
Parties: 11 (see table below)
More information on the CSC, including the text and current status, is available here.
The following is a sampling of the articles related to the CSC that have been published in the Nuclear Law Bulletin and Principles and Practice of International Nuclear Law:
- The Compensation Convention: Path to a Global Regime for Dealing with Legal Liability and Compensation for Nuclear Damage, by B. McRae (NLB 61, p. 25).
- Maritime Zones and the New Provisions on Jurisdiction in the 1997 Vienna Protocol and in the 1997 Convention on Supplementary Compensation, by A. Gioia (NLB 63, p. 25).
- The Convention on Supplementary Compensation for Nuclear Damage: Catalyst for a Global Nuclear Liability Regime, by B. McRae (NLB 79, p. 17).
- International Pooling of Operators' Funds: An Option to Increase the Amount of Financial Security to Cover Nuclear Liability?, by N. Pelzer (NLB 79, p. 37).
- Perspective on the Pros and Cons of a Pooling-type Approach to Nuclear Third Party Liability, by S. Carroll (NLB 81, p. 75).
- Convention on Supplementary Compensation for Nuclear Damage (CSC) and harmonisation of nuclear liability law within the European Union, by B. McRae (NLB 87, p. 73).
- Through the looking glass: placing India's new civil liability regime for nuclear damage in context, by R. J. Gruendel and E. Reynaers Kini (NLB 89, p. 45).
- Progress towards a global nuclear liability regime (NLB 93, p. 9).
- The Convention on Supplementary Compensation for Nuclear Damage and participation by developing countries: A South African perspective, by D. Davies (NLB 93, p. 25).
- Entry into force of the Convention on Supplementary Compensation for Nuclear damage: Opening the umbrella, by B. McRae (NLB 95, p. 7).
- Recognition and enforcement of foreign judgments on civil liability for nuclear damage, by U. Magnus (NLB 106, p. 7).
- Liability and compensation for third party damage resulting from a nuclear incident, by J.A. Schwatrz (Principles and Practice of International Nuclear Law, p. 409).
- Insurance of nuclear risks, by S. M. S. Reitsma and M. G. Tetley (Principles and Practice of International Nuclear Law, p. 445).
|Parties to the Convention on Supplementary Compensation for Nuclear Damage
||United Arab Emirates*
* Country with at least one nuclear power plant in operation.