3. NATURE OF PHYSICAL PROBLEM SOLVED
(A) FLARE-JAERI: The three- dimensional boiling water reactor simulator FLARE is revised for the design of ATR and further analysis of BWR. Following modifications are made:
1. A control rod positioning logic is now in the program.
2. The direction of coolant flow is optional, namely upward or down- ward or channelwise alternatively.
3. The effect of self-evaporation is considered.
4. An additional variety of fitting formula is available.
5. Vertical fuel shuffling or reloading is performed by users option after the core reactivity is less than an input value.
6. The horizontal fuel shuffling is easily performed within one run.
(B) SCOPERS-2: This new version of FLARE-JAERI uses a generalized FLARE-type nodal equation together with the nodal-form neutron migration kernel derived in a relatively rigorous theoretical way. It replaces the empirical kernel used in FLARE. SCOPERS-2 can be applied to both PWR and BWR with wider options.