Mandate of the Committee on Radiation Protection and Public Health (CRPPH)
As stated in the NEA Strategic Plan for 2011-2016, the general objective of the Agency in the field of radiological protection is to assist member countries in the regulation and implementation and further development of the system of radiological protection by identifying and effectively addressing conceptual, scientific, policy, regulatory, operational and societal issues. The CRPPH will contribute to the adoption and the maintenance of high standards of protection for workers, members of the public and the environment in all activities involving the use of ionising radiation, and particularly in the field of nuclear energy. In this context, the mandate of the Committee on Radiation Protection and Public Health (CRPPH) shall be:
- to provide a forum for the exchange of information and the transfer of experience between national radiological protection and public health authorities on radiological protection policies, regulatory issues and approaches, and their implementation in the various practices and situations involving exposures to radiation;
- to seek international understanding and guidance, in support of national authorities, on questions of common concern regarding the interpretation and implementation of the International Commission on Radiological Protection (ICRP) recommendations and other international standards in various fields of application of radiological protection, and to contribute to the development of harmonised positions in this field;
- to keep under review and contribute to the advancement of the state of the art in the field of radiological protection at the scientific and technical levels and to promote the preparation of authoritative advice and reference documents, for use by national authorities, policy makers and practitioners, on emerging policy, regulatory and operational issues, and in those areas where international consensus on radiological protection concepts, regulatory issues and practices is required;
- to advance concepts and policies which make the system of radiological protection more simple, transparent and adaptable to the broader social dimensions of decision making in complex radiological situations;
- to promote and initiate international co-operative activities on specific radiological protection and related public health topics of interest to the NEA member countries in the framework of the NEA Strategic Plan.
In the fulfilment of its mandate, the CRPPH will work in close co-operation with other NEA committees as appropriate, particularly the Committee on Nuclear Regulatory Activities (CNRA) and the Radioactive Waste Management Committee (RWMC), as well as with the competent bodies within relevant OECD directorates and other international organisations active in the field.
Last reviewed: 27 February 2015