Mandate of the Committee on Radiation Protection and Public Health (CRPPH)
The objective of the Committee on Radiological Protection and Public Health is to assist NEA member countries in the implementation and enhancement of the system of radiological protection. This objective will be met by identifying and effectively addressing those conceptual, scientific, policy, regulatory, operational and societal issues that either favourably or adversely affect the system of radiological protection, thereby promoting national and international good practices and identifying potential weaknesses and vulnerabilities.
To accomplish this, the Committee will contribute to the adoption and the maintenance of high standards of protection for the public, workers and the environment in all activities involving the use of ionising radiations, and particularly, but not limited to the field of nuclear energy.
In this context, the Committee on Radiological Protection and Public Health (CRPPH) shall:
- Provide a forum for the exchange of information and the transfer of experience between national radiological protection authorities on policies, regulatory issues and approaches, and their implementation in the context of realistic radiation exposure conditions, and as appropriate, the risks and regulatory arrangements for other common hazards.
- Seek international understanding and guidance, in support of national authorities, on questions of common concern regarding the interpretation and implementation of the ICRP recommendations and international standards in various fields of application of radiological protection, to contribute to the development of co-ordinated approaches among member countries, and to support the development of new international standards.
- Advance concepts and policies which make the system of radiological protection clear, transparent and adaptable to the broader social dimensions of decision making in complex situations, and further facilitate effective engagement with relevant stakeholders, including their involvement in decision making as appropriate.
- Promote international collaboration on specific radiological protection and radiation-related public health topics of interest to the NEA member countries in the framework of the NEA Strategic Plan.
- Keep under review, contribute to the advancement of, and identify needs for the state of the art in the field of radiological protection at the social-scientific, natural-scientific and technical levels, and promote the preparation of authoritative advice and reference documents, for use by national authorities, policy makers and practitioners, on emerging policy, regulatory and operational issues, and in those areas where international consensus on radiological protection concepts, regulatory issues and practices is sought.
- Help ensure the management of radiological protection knowledge and experience between generations of radiological protection experts.
- Actively interact with the International Commission on Radiological Protection (ICRP) to help link national policy and regulatory needs to the development of international recommendations.
In the fulfilment of its mandate, the CRPPH will work in close co-operation with other NEA Committees as appropriate, particularly the Committee on Nuclear Regulatory Activities (CNRA), the Radioactive Waste Management Committee (RWMC), and the Nuclear Law Committee (NLC), as well as with NEA divisions, and competent bodies within relevant OECD directorates and other international organisations active in the field.
Last reviewed: 10 January 2017