Working Group on Risk Assessment (WGRISK)
The main objective of the Working Group on Risk Assessment (WGRISK) is to advance the understanding of probabilistic safety assessment (PSA) and to enhance its utilisation for improving the safety of nuclear installations, for improving the operation and design of nuclear installations and for increasing the regulatory effectiveness through risk-informed approaches. In order to achieve this objective, the group shall:
- Report to the Committee on the Safety of Nuclear Installations (CSNI) and assist that committee with its work. The working group shall prepare an integrated plan for its activities consistent with the mandate as well as proposed CSNI safety issues, updated at regular intervals and in response to CSNI directives.
- Constitute a forum for exchange of information and experience related to risk assessment in NEA member countries. This exchange is not only limited to technical discussions on questions regarding risk analysis approaches, results, insights, applications and interactions with other disciplines and analysis techniques, but it shall also include identifying and prioritising important issues requiring additional research.
- Prepare technical reviews (such as state-of-the-art reports, technical opinion papers, compilations of ongoing efforts, comparison studies etc. as appropriate) of work in all phases of risk assessment to assist further developments and the application of PSA in risk-informed decision making. This work will be done in task groups, whose work will be organised in a project-like manner with outcomes and milestones.
- Sponsor specialist meetings and workshops to further its objectives.
- Collaborate with or assist other CSNI working groups, the Committee on Nuclear Regulatory Activities (CNRA) and other NEA committees on request. The group will also co-operate with other international organisations, aiming among others to avoid duplication of effort.
WGRISK programme of work
WGRISK recent reports
Last reviewed: 11 February 2008