Working Group on Fuel Cycle Safety (WGFCS)
The objective of the Working Group on Fuel Cycle Safety (WGFCS) is to advance the understanding for both regulators and operators of relevant aspects of nuclear fuel cycle safety in member countries.
In order to accomplish this objective the working group shall:
- Meet periodically to exchange information on relevant matters including licensing systems, safety philosophy and safety standards to improve mutual understanding, and to review the information from the joint IAEA/NEA Fuel Incident and Notification and Analyses System (FINAS) and other databases.
- Indicate where further research is needed, review and prioritise safety issues, prepare state-of-the-art reports, hold workshops as appropriate and collaborate with other groups as necessary.
To achieve this mandate the WGFCS shall:
- Report to the Committee on the Safety of Nuclear Installations (CSNI) and assist that committee with its work. The WGFCS programme of work will be approved by CSNI.
- Constitute a forum for exchange of information and experience of activities related to nuclear fuel cycle safety in member countries.
- Encourage and support WGFCS member countries to contribute frequently and regularly to the FINAS by their reports. In case of an event of common interest organize a specific forum to share lessons-learned and promote their implementation.
- Indicate where further research and analysis is needed and denote priority actions to be undertaken. The WGFCS will prepare technical reviews of work in all phases of the nuclear fuel cycle where such reports are needed for further development. In doing so, care will be taken to avoid duplication of effort or scope with other CSNI working groups, or with other international bodies.
- With prior approval of the CSNI, collaborate with or assist the other working groups, NEA committees or other international organisations.
WGFCS programme of work
WGFCS recent reports
Last reviewed: 14 February 2011