Working Group on the Regulation of New Reactors (WGRNR)
The Working Group on the Regulation of New Reactors (WGRNR) shall be responsible for the programme of work of the Committee on Nuclear Regulatory Activities (CNRA) with regard to regulatory activities in the primary programme areas of siting, licensing and oversight for all new commercial nuclear power reactors. The Working Group shall constitute an international forum for exchanging information and experience and, with the agreement of CNRA, will plan its work to ensure improvements in nuclear safety including, as appropriate, consideration of the interface between safety and security through more effective and efficient regulation.
- The group shall constitute a forum of experts for the licensing of new commercial nuclear power reactors and shall facilitate a co-operative approach to identify key new regulatory issues and promote a common resolution of such issues.
- The group should co-ordinate its work with the work performed by the Multinational Design Evaluation Programme (MDEP) so that: it utilises its outputs and does not duplicate its efforts; extends the results of MDEP to other CNRA members.
- The group should ensure that construction inspection issues and construction experience is shared through existing CNRA working groups or new working groups as appropriate.
- The group should plan for the transition of new reactors into the operational phase.
- The group should identify support needed from CSNI.
Multinational Design Evaluation Programme (MDEP)
Committee on Nuclear Regulatory Activities
Last updated: 19 February 2018