Working Group on Operating Experience
The working group shall constitute an international forum for the exchange and analysis of operating experience for the determination of safety issues from a regulatory viewpoint. It will also identify safety issues that derive from operating experience for consideration by the CSNI in relation to additional research. WGOE, with the agreement of the CNRA, will plan its work to promote improvements in nuclear safety at nuclear installations, with primary focus on nuclear power plants (NPPs).
To this end, the working group shall:
- Exchange, analyse and provide expert insights and knowledge from relevant operating experience to reach timely conclusions on lessons learned, trends, and effectiveness of responses. Prepare reports, disseminate conclusions and sponsor international workshops on use of operating experience for improving nuclear safety.
- If necessary, provide feedback to the IRS Advisory Committee on areas for system improvement in the context of WGOE objectives.
- Compare, and where possible benchmark, international practices and methodologies applied by member countries in the assessment and utilisation of operating experience.
- Maximise the benefit of co-operation with existing NEA working groups and other international organisations (e.g. IAEA, EC, WANO, etc).
The above activities are aimed at promoting proposals for:
- Re-assessment of safety;
- New or revised regulatory practices;
- Enhancements in systems, structures and components;
- Enhancements in human and organisational factors ;
- Additional research ;
- Other actions to maintain and improve safety.
Annually, the WGOE will prepare a plan of work, which addresses the programme of work elements in the CNRA Operating Plan and future regulatory challenges for agreement by the CNRA. The WGOE will closely interact with the Working Group on Inspection Practices (WGIP) and the Working Group on Regulation of New Reactors (WGRNR), and other relevant CNRA and CSNI working groups. With the CNRA's agreement, the WGOE will collaborate with, and assist other NEA committees and international organisations.
WGOE recent reports
Committee on Nuclear Regulatory Activities (CNRA) overview
E-mail contact: Nancy Salgado
Last reviewed: 18 September 2012