Multilateral agreements in nuclear energy
II. Non-proliferation and nuclear security
- Treaty on the Non-proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (Non-Proliferation Treaty or NPT)
Aims to prevent the spread of nuclear weapons and weapons technology (non-proliferation), to promote co-operation in the peaceful uses of nuclear energy (peaceful uses) and to further the goal of achieving nuclear disarmament and general and complete disarmament (disarmament).
- Convention on the Physical Protection of Nuclear Material (CPPNM)
Establishes measures related to the physical protection of nuclear material used for peaceful purposes during transport, criminalisation of offenses relating to nuclear material and international co-operation and exchange of information.
- Amendment to the Convention on the Physical Protection of Nuclear Material (Amendment to the CPPNM)
Objective is to achieve and maintain worldwide effective physical protection of nuclear material and of nuclear facilities used for peaceful purposes; to prevent and combat offences relating to such material and facilities worldwide; as well as to facilitate co-operation among states parties to those ends. Extends and enhances the scope of the Convention on the Physical Protection of Nuclear Material.
- International Convention for the Suppression of Terrorist Bombings (Terrorist Bombings Convention)
Objective is to enhance international co-operation among states in devising and adopting effective and practical measures for the prevention of acts of terrorism and for the prosecution and punishment of its perpetrators.
- International Convention for the Suppression of the Financing of Terrorism (Terrorist Financing Convention)
Aims to enhance international co-operation among states in devising and adopting effective measures for the prevention of the financing of terrorism, as well as for its suppression through the prosecution and punishment of its perpetrators.
- International Convention for the Suppression of Acts of Nuclear Terrorism (ICSANT or Nuclear Terrorism Convention)
Main objective relates to the criminalisation of a number of nuclear and radioactive material related offences, the establishment of jurisdiction over these offences and the co-operation among states parties, with the United Nations and with the International Atomic Energy Agency in specified matters.
- Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT) (not yet in force)
Bans all nuclear explosions anywhere on Earth whether for military or for peaceful purposes.
- Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons (TPNW or Nuclear Weapon Ban Treaty) (not yet in force)
Aims to prohibit all nuclear weapon activities, including the development, testing, production, acquisition, possession, stockpiling, use, or threats to use nuclear weapons.
Last reviewed: 9 February 2017